The IGU Executive Committee (see photograph) is meeting in Tianjin, some 120k south-east of Beijing, in preparation for the upcoming International Geographical Congress which kicks off on 22nd August at the China National Convention Centre in Beijing (see: http://www.igc2016.org). The Congress, which will include a General Assembly during which a new IGU President and four IGU Vice-Presidents will be elected, will be the largest ever in the long and prestigious history of the IGU (the first ever International Geographical Congress was held in Antwerp, Belgium in 1871). Some 5000 delegates are expected to attend and witness more than 500 parallel paper sessions representing every single one of the IGU’s 41 Commissions and Task Forces accompanied by a number of high profile plenary addresses. The Olympiad has attracted 174 student participants and 88 teachers from 45 countries. The Olympiad, which is currently underway, has attracted 174 student participants and 88 teachers from 45 countries. On-site registration is available at the congress venue from 21st August.
- IGU Urban commission annual meeting – Aug 2017
- International Council for Science (ICSU) calls on the government of the United States to rescind the Executive Order “Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States”
- New rural geographies in Europe: actors, processes, policies – 14-17 June 2017
- ICSU and ISSC vote to pursue merger ‘in principle’
- La Paz Conference – call for papers