Annual Conference of the IGU Urban Commission
LIFE IN A CHANGING URBAN LANDSCAPE
2013 Johannesburg-Stellenbosch (South Africa)
21 – 26 July 2013
DEADLINE FOR PAPERS – 29th March 2013 to email@example.com
The Department of Geography, Environmental Management and Energy Studies (University of Johannesburg)
The Department of Geography (University of Stellenbosch)
The organisers of the conference call for papers that offer provocative, insightful and novel ways of looking at an ever changing urban landscape. We invite contributions to the conference, which include the following topics:
- Technological innovations and creative activities in cities.
- Contested social spaces.
- Creating sustainability.
- Dilemmas of aging cities.
- Increasing insecurity.
- Urban heritage and conservation.
- Urban governance.
- Complex urban systems.
Please note that the above list is not exhaustive. We invite any contribution that fits with the general theme of the conference.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
29 March 2013: Deadline for submission of abstract
12 April 2013: Notification of acceptance of conference paper
31 May 2013: Deadline for registration and payment of conference fees.
SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACT (before 29 March 2013)
The 300 word (maximum) abstract should include the following:
- Title of the paper.
- Name(s) and affiliation(s) of the author(s).
- E-mail address(es) of author(s)
- Up to four key words
- MS Word documents only
- Font: Arial; Font size 14 for the title and 12 for the rest of document; Spacing: 1.5 line spaces; Margins: 2.5 all round.
Johannesburg package (21 to 23 July 2013) €180 (R1900)
Stellenbosch package (24 to 26 July 2013) €310 (R3400)
Full conference package (21 to 26 July) €435 (R4900)
Accompanying persons (Full Conference) €125 (R1500)
The fees excludes accommodation, accompanying persons programme, post conference fieldtrip, local travel in Johannesburg and Stellenbosch AND travel between Johannesburg and Cape Town
For delegates and accompanying persons:
- Lunch on Monday, Thursday and Friday
- Fieldtrips to Soweto (Tuesday) and Cape Town CBD (Wednesday)
- Welcome cocktail party in Johannesburg (Sunday evening) and Stellenbosch (Wednesday evening)
- Airport transfer from Cape Town to Stellenbosch (a bus will pick up delegates at Cape Town airport and from there travel to Cape Town CBD for the fieldtrip and drop off delegates afterwards in Stellenbosch at a central point)
- Dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday evening
- Wine tasting trip on Thursday afternoon in Stellenbosch
- Friday evening conference dinner at an award winning restaurant in Stellenbosch or Franschhoek
- Copy of the book of papers accepted for publication (only for delegates)
The fee excludes accommodation, accompanying persons programme, post conference fieldtrip, local travel in Johannesburg, local air/road/rail travel between Johannesburg and Cape Town.
Papers presented at this meeting will be considered for the Commission’s publication initiatives. The aim is to launch a book in which all papers submitted will be peer reviewed.
Please see the website for more complete information